Mexican Sweet Potatoes
This is a fantastic appetizer for anyone looking to make something impressive yet on the healthy side. Your guests will be so happy with each bite that they may not have time to realize you are doing them a “flavor” with the wonderful health benefits of sweet potatoes. Our Mexican Sweet Potatoes have it all, flavor, texture, sweetness, acidity and creaminess from the avocado crema.
This is a great recipe for meal prep as well. Adjust to making half the recipe easily if you feel like its too much. Just store the corn salsa separately so you can reheat the sweet potatoes as needed and top them each with your desired amount.
Sweet Potato, halved, 8 each
Sweet & Spicy Seasoning, as needed
Avocado oil, as needed
Corn & Black Bean Salsa
Corn, frozen, 1 1/2 cup
Black Beans, strained and rinsed, 1/2 -1 cup
Red Pepper, chopped small, 1 cup
Tomato, chopped small, 1 cup
Red onion, chopped small, 1/4 cup
Jalapeno, seeded, finely chopped, 1/2 each
Juice of lime, 1 each
Garlic salt, 1/4 teaspoon
Kosher salt, to taste
Black pepper, to taste
Avocado, 2 medium
Sour cream, 1 cup
Juice of Lime, 1
Kosher salt, 1/2 teaspoon
Black pepper, 1/4 teaspoon
Lets Get Cooking:
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.
- Prepare the sweet potatoes by slicing in half long ways and setting them on an oven safe sheet pan, inside facing up. Drizzle with avocado oil and sprinkle with Sweet & Spicy Seasoning. Bake in the oven for about 45 minutes or until fork tender.
- Prepare your Corn and Black Bean Salsa: Prepare all your vegetables and add them to a medium-large bowl. Add the rinsed black beans, the seasoning and lime juice. Taste and adjust as needed, adding more lime juice or seasoning.
- Prepare you Avocado Crema: In a small bowl, mash the avocado until its relatively smooth, some lumps is fine. Then add the sour cream, lime juice and salt and pepper. Stir, taste and adjust more seasoning as desired.
- Once the sweet potatoes are roasted, lay them on a platter. Top each piece with a generous amount of salsa and a dollop of avocado crema. Top with fresh cracked pepper if desired. Serve the potatoes warm.
- Sweet & Spicy Seasoning is available at MakingItDelicious.com or any Johnny D’s Waffles location. Substitute the Sweet & Spicy Seasoning with kosher salt, black pepper and a little thyme.
- For more portions without using more potatoes, slice the potatoes in 1/2-inch rings instead of halved.This will shorten your backing time, however, so keep that in mind when roasted the potatoes. Also, if using this method, I recommend lightly spraying the sheet pan with a little oil prior to baking.
- Any leftover corn salsa can be used as a dip, mixed with avocado for a quick corn and black bean guacamole, used on chicken, steak or shrimp tacos.
- Swap the lime juice out throughout the recipe for lemon juice if desired.
For a PDF or printable version of this recipe, click here…
Chef’s Mushroom Cream Sauce over Chicken and Spaghetti Squash is a must try!!
If you are looking for a delicious taco recipe, check out my recipe for Peach & Sweet Potato Pico Tacos.
Check out the Making It Delicious Shop and pick yourself up a few spice blends and a few of our new graphic tees and tanks.
Check out my recipe for Pan Seared Trigger Fish for a great date night dinner.
Come see what I do on a daily basis and enjoy some great breakfast, brunch or lunch at Johnny D’s Waffles the next time you are in Myrtle Beach.